This time I do have have baby news to report!! Everett Matthew was born this morning (7/30) at 5:57am!!! He weighs 7 lbs 3 oz and is 20 3/4in. He is perfect and we are thrilled! 10 toes and everything!
So here's our birth story. The weekend was filled full of occasional contractions, but nothing too exciting. Its funny b/c everyone alwaya asks if I have been having any contractions and I just laugh b/c I have been having contractions since I was 27 weeks. So the question is how many contractions am I having. Anyway, we had a nice weekend of swim lessons, hanging out with our friends Brad and Sara on Saturday night and a low key day on Sunday. Actually, Sunday was an exciting day b/c Audrey went the entire day without an accident. So the highlight for her was the purple and pink unicorn she picked out at Target for staying dry.
Anyway, I started feeling kinda sick Sun night and was having a few more contractions but nothing too bad. Ryan and I went for a hour walk after Audrey went to bed and then slept pretty good during the night. I woke up at 3a with a contractions and maybe had a few more but nothing that kept me wide awake.
(Ryan is taking over on typing now while mama gets a massage) At about 4:35am Jen had a couple bigger contractions and then pop! Her water broke, she had two big gushes and she poked me awake. I called my mom and then called the hospital. They told us to scoot to the hospital- theoretically speaking, Jen was supposed to be on antibiotics during her labor and before the little tyke's delivery. This is a good time to note the emphasis on "theoretically".
While I got our bags ready, Jen insisted on brushing her teeth and washing her face. I was a bit surprised and amused at this, but having dealt regularly with the quirky desires of pregnancy, I decided to not stand between Jen and her toothbrush. Instead, I tended to the bags, camera, phone chargers. Jen and her pearly whites made it downstairs, clearly with the contractions now kicking into full force. Apparently, there were a few other gushes while upstairs and the contractions were now happening every 2 minutes and apparently "a bit" stronger.
Nama now on the seen, I promptly jumped in the car with wifferoo and half a block later realized that I had no shoes. Grabbed those and we were off again, just missing the early morning contruction on Valley Creek. Every little bump or swerve at this point was taking its toll. It was delicate ballet between speeding to the hospital and not stopping too quickly or turning to abruptly when weaving through Woodbury in the early morning hours. We made it in pretty good time to the ER parking lot. I ran to get a wheelchair and by the time we were back to the emergency entrance, we had an escort to bring us up to labor and delivery. I filled out the paperwork fairly half ass and the nurse decided maybe we didn't have to fill it out completely before letting us into our room. It didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out "the reason for arrival". Now the contractions were coming on in full force and Jen doing all she could just to keep her legs together.
Shocker here. The nurse checked Jen upon arriving to the room: 9 centimeters dilated. But thank goodness we got our face washed. :-)
To Jen's credit, with rosy cheeks and glistening tooth enamel, she tolerated her labor like a champ. 20 minutes later we had a newborn son. Dr. Eric English was the in house obstetrician as our wonderful Dr. Sheehy did not make it in time. He was crying immediately and the finger/toe check was A-Okay. We are so very lucky.
Nama, Mimi and Auds made an early morning visit to say hello to new baby brother. Audrey, the newly declared "Potty Princess" with her new unicorn named "Pony" came to check out baby. Her first words coming through the door (as predicted by Jen and I) was "Mama, are you ok?" She checked out Everett from afar as she still has a bit of a cold but did snuggle with mama and shared breakfast. Big thank you to both grandmas for helping with Auds while Jen and I lay low in our room.
2 comments:
Congratulations! Sounds like an exciting day!
Happy to hear everyone is doing well-enjoy!
Amy ( coworker to Ryan)
Congratulations Jen and Ryan!!!
We are so excited and happy for you!
The Vnak family
Post a Comment