Sunday, January 16, 2011

This is the life!
















































Hey All- here is Ryan- quite negligent in my postings. Jen has taken up some of the slack, but here I sit at 7 in the morning having been up for the better part of an hour ready to throw down a post and update you all on the recent household activities. Audrey's sleeping schedule pretty much revolves around our daily work schedule- and that means that 5:45 is get up and go time. Breakfast by 6:15 and then an early morning nap at 7AM.













The Sunday crossword has been attempted (without completion I might add- 6 letter word for "sweet smelling gas"?), Audrey's in her state of snooze at the moment and the wife is toning that fine figure with a little treadmill action. I look out the window and chuckle- it's not light outside yet. Just 2 years ago, Jen and I were sleeping in til 10, reading the Sunday paper in bed. But the beauty of it all is that I love being a parent. Thank God that Jen is here to share it with me though... not sure I could handle it then :-)
I have stopped keeping track of all of the words that Audrey has parroted the last 2 weeks- they are now apparently infinite. Her most recent trip at the zoo was filled with new ones. Instantly picking up the word Dolphin amongst others. We did however pick up a more important word yesterday- Mimi (for Grandma Pammy) finally came within our vocabulary grasp. She was on speaker phone with Jen and Audrey just blurted it out without prompting. Amazing that it just clicks that way sometimes- and just as amazing that every week there are new words, new adventures and experiences, new life lessons. Most of those won't get a blog mention, but I store them away in my mind and heart hoping that they don't get completely replaced by the next fantastic moment.
We're running now with reckless abandon. We're also trying to actually walk up stairs "like a big girl"- this was Audrey's idea, not mine. While the first snow outing in late fall/early winter was NOT met with enthusiasm... we are loving it now! The small slope in the back yard is just enough to make a sled hill for a toddler. We'll just say that Dad got a work out in the back and forth of things. She continues her enthusiasm for books and pretty much pulling anything apart or out of its original place. Jen is a bit bemused that she can't seem to teach Audrey how to stack or organize or replace anything. Honestly, I find that Audrey has us pretty well trained- we set up her blocks, puzzles, games, and books so that it can all be torn down again! Hopefully the organizing, stacking, studious, type A part of Audrey's brain will kick in just in time for school.





















Our Christmas holiday was spectacular, and as usual, our Audrey was a little star in most of that activity- taking as much joy in the wrapping paper and bows as the presents themselves. A new OOOH! expression to each new experience. Her grandparents, aunts, and uncles were a little too generous, but I am honestly impressed that Audrey has been sharing equal number of kisses and hugs with all of her stuffed animals. She currently has two or three stuffed animals that she holds all at the same time and wanders through the house with. This does not always work the best in the coordination department when walking/running- thus the occasional nickname "little drunken sailor". Like she doesn't already have enough nicknames.




















On the 24th we made it to Christmas mass and my parents place. On Christmas day we celebrated at Jen's parents' place and then hosted a little shindig of our own. Lots of Christmas... and I think the recovery is nearly complete. I seem to need 3 weekends to catch my breath from all the bustling of Christmas. I find Jen more in her element than ever. Shopping and hosting parties. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree...does it Pammer? There was a certain satisfaction that came with bringing the house back to normal. But with the daily, weekly, monthly activities... I do wonder if there is ever a complete normal for this family.



















Speaking of activities- a happy early B-day to proud Grandpa and Dad, Joe. And a happy early 40th anniversary to Pam and Joe. As celebration, Jen's family (including Moi and the "Goober") will be on a cruiseship to the Caribbean. I must confess that I am fearful for what I will be consuming within that week... but not fearful enough to avoid the seafood buffet. All that treadmill time down the drain! Anyway, I hope that the new year all finds you well. More postings to follow.
Much love! Jen, Audramatic, and proud Dada

1 comment:

Christina said...

What a great update, Ryan! Loved it all.

My favorite picture is the one of Audrey on the sled. Darling!

And that red coat on her is fabulous! High fashion, right there.

Take care and hugs to all! :)